Leading the sharing of international experience and good practice, advocating for risk-based decommissioning policy and guidance
Think the Earth is round? Think again. Actually the Earth – land and sea – is continuously changing shape, influenced by factors such as its rotation, gravity and tectonic movement. Our Practical Geodesy work supports the description of the definitions of coordinates for describing locations on, above and below the surface of the Earth.
In order to improve our industry’s surveying capability, IOGP develops and maintains specialist tools and resources.
The EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset is a collection of definitions of coordinate reference systems and coordinate transformations. These may be global, regional, national or local in application. To learn more visit https://epsg.org.
In October 2020, the EPSG Registry has migrated from a previous platform. The EPSG data model has been upgraded to follow the ISO 19111:2019 revisions for dynamic datums, geoid-based vertical datums, datum ensembles and derived projected coordinate reference systems. For an overview of the model changes see here.
Dynamic Coordinate Reference Systems
Following the release of updated GN25 Dynamic versus static CRSs and use of the ITRF and new GN26 Coordinate Transformations in the US Gulf of Mexico OCS, the Committee has now delivered a video introducing the concept of dynamic coordinate reference systems. The video is shared under the same T&C as other IOGP Publications and can be reproduced in whole or in part provided (i) that the copyright of IOGP and (ii) the sources are acknowledged.
Several IOGP’s short documents give guidance to the industry on geodetic topics:
- Guidance for industry:
- 373-01 Geodetic awareness. A brief overview of coordinates and their reference systems.
- 373-03 Contract Area Definition. A guide for exploration managers and lawyers in hydrocarbon exploration companies who negotiate for licence acreage and for licencing authorities.
- 373-05 Coordinate reference system definition. A guide on terminology and best practice.
- 373-23 Web Mercator. A guide on the use of the Coordinate Reference System Web Mercator.
- 373-24 Vertical data in oil and gas applications
- Guidance for geomatics professionals:
- 373-13 Coordinate Transformation evaluation and use.
- 373-21 Grid Convergence
- 373-25 Dynamic versus static CRSs and use of the ITRF (see also a video introducing the concept of dynamic coordinate reference systems)
- Guidance for working in specific areas
We are also the custodians of UKOOA Report: Guidance notes on the use of coordinate systems in data management on the UKCS.
Information about Guidance Notes on other Geomatics topics may be found on other pages of this web site.