- This event has passed.
Decommissioning oil and gas fields: Best environmental practices
October 19, 2021 @ 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm UTC+2
Part 3 of the Global webinar series – Enabling oil and gas producing countries to transition towards a low carbon future
- 29 April: Aligning National climate and energy policies and strategies
- 6 July: Available technologies that contribute to climate mitigation in upstream oil and gas production
- 19 October: Decommissioning oil and gas fields: Best environmental practices
As the dominance of fossil fuels in the global energy mix is set to decline, many producing countries are recognizing the need to reduce risks & diversify their energy production and economies. Producer countries will need to take advantage of new opportunities to improve energy supply, efficiency & revenues while meeting climate targets in their Nationally Determined Contributions. The UN Environment Programme, and partners, present this webinar series:
1. Webinar on Aligning national climate and energy policies and strategies, 29 April: This webinar describes the urgent need to align climate and energy policies and strategies with a focus on energy sector diversification and how countries are navigating the challenges and opportunities emerging from transitioning to a low carbon future.
2. Webinar on Available technologies that contribute to climate mitigation in upstream oil and gas production, 06 July: This webinar presents the one important contribution from the oil & gas sector through improved management of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, already undertaken by some IOCs,& other improvements on efficiency & emissions in general.
3. Webinar on Decommissioning oil & gas fields: Best environmental practices, 14 October: This webinar discusses best practice in oil & gas operations related to the decommissioning of redundant production infrastructure & repurposing decommissioning approaches for low carbon applications.
- Understand the importance of aligning national climate & energy policies & strategies to support the energy transition process.
- Learn about the best available low carbon technologies, including emission reduction, improved efficiency & carbon capture & storage techniques that contribute to climate mitigation.
- Enhance understanding of the environmental impacts & best environmental practices associated with the various options of decommissioning oil and gas infrastructure.
- Develop access to expertise and a community of practice to enhance peer-to-peer learning