- This event has passed.
Available technologies that contribute to climate mitigation in upstream oil and gas production
July 6, 2021 @ 1:30 pm - 3:00 pm UTC+2
Now, more than ever, there is increasing demand to reduce GHG emissions in the oil and gas sector. This webinar will discuss the opportunities and challenges in reducing and managing emissions, including better monitoring of flaring, venting and fugitive emissions, carbon capture and storage (CCS) technologies, and utilization of associated gas.
Our panel of experts will include representatives from UNEP, Carbon Limits, IOGP, and the Norwegian Petroleum Directorate.Download event flyer Register
Part 2 of the Global webinar series – Enabling oil and gas producing countries to transition towards a low carbon future
- 29 April: Aligning National climate and energy policies and strategies
- 6 July: Available technologies that contribute to climate mitigation in upstream oil and gas production
- 14 October: Decommissioning oil and gas fields: Best environmental practices
As the dominance of fossil fuels in the global energy mix is set to decline, many producing countries are recognizing the need to reduce risks & diversify their energy production and economies. Producer countries will need to take advantage of new opportunities to improve energy supply, efficiency & revenues while meeting climate targets in their Nationally Determined Contributions. The UN Environment Programme, and partners, present this webinar series:
1. Webinar on Aligning national climate and energy policies and strategies, 29 April: This webinar describes the urgent need to align climate and energy policies and strategies with a focus on energy sector diversification and how countries are navigating the challenges and opportunities emerging from transitioning to a low carbon future.
2. Webinar on Available technologies that contribute to climate mitigation in upstream oil and gas production, 06 July: This webinar presents the one important contribution from the oil & gas sector through improved management of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions, already undertaken by some IOCs,& other improvements on efficiency & emissions in general.
3. Webinar on Decommissioning oil & gas fields: Best environmental practices, 14 October: This webinar discusses best practice in oil & gas operations related to the decommissioning of redundant production infrastructure & repurposing decommissioning approaches for low carbon applications.
- Understand the importance of aligning national climate & energy policies & strategies to support the energy transition process.
- Learn about the best available low carbon technologies, including emission reduction, improved efficiency & carbon capture & storage techniques that contribute to climate mitigation.
- Enhance understanding of the environmental impacts & best environmental practices associated with the various options of decommissioning oil and gas infrastructure.
- Develop access to expertise and a community of practice to enhance peer-to-peer learning