IOGP Report 589
This report clarifies and defines common terms used in protective paint systems in the oil and gas industry.
The expected benefits of implementing this report are:
- standardized generic descriptions to enable better comparisons of similar paint types and properties;
- better understanding of terminology and technical information for end users;
- improved understanding of the different coating types used onshore and offshore;
- provides a framework and background information for suppliers to adopt their documentation to a more standardized approach;
- increased transparency and openness within the coating industry and between the coating suppliers;
- better alignment of technical documentation between companies providing more representative and realistic information to the end users;
- provides a reference to documentation used in the industry (existing standards);
- educational on every level – contractor, subcontractor and coating supplier – due to the clear and concise format.
This report does not cover linings, metallic coatings, polyolefins, etc.