IOGP Outstanding Young Professional Award – 2020
For 40 years, IOGP has promoted safe, responsible and sustainable Exploration & Production operations. To maintain this momentum, the upstream industry will have to rely on future generations of leaders. In recognition of this fact – and to inspire the next generation – IOGP runs the Outstanding Young Professional Award, enabled by SPE, and in association with the biennial SPE Health, Safety, Environment and Sustainability Conference.
Seven outstanding young professionals have been shortlisted as finalists for the 2020 IOGP Outstanding Young Professional Award. Nominations were submitted from senior leaders in over 20 operators, with candidates representing of all seven of IOGP’s operating regions.
“This years’ submissions have been of an extremely high calibre,” Ed Walsingham, Business & Strategy Manager at IOGP said, “and our finalists have shown unrivalled commitment to excellence both inside and outside of the workplace”.
The Awards Committee, consisting of executives from the world’s leading upstream and contractor companies, has worked to categorise the nominees based on their leadership, innovation and impact.
“The upstream industry needs to do more to recognise the achievements of its younger workforce. Whether its harnessing new technologies to tackle the industry’s greatest challenges or showing leadership by reaching out to those considering a future career in oil and gas, our candidates for the award are exemplary, and their companies and colleagues should be proud,” Walsingham added.
The 2020 finalists are (in alphabetical order):
- Kelly Giang, Subsea Engineer, BP (Houston, USA)
- Delina Lyon, Ecotoxicologist, Shell (Houston, USA)
- Saul Moorhouse, Technology Capability Lead, BP (London, UK)
- David Ochanda, Biodiversity Coordinator, Total (Kampala, Uganda)
- Lauren Prigent, HSE Advisor, Neptune Energy (Aberdeen, UK)
- Stephanie Seewald, Drilling & Completions HSE Team Lead, Chevron (Houston, USA)
- Xeniya Yurkavets, Lead HSE Specialist, KazMunayGas (Nur-Sultan, Kazakhstan)
Over the course of the next few months the Awards Committee will judge the finalists based on their achievements and a video submission. The 2020 Award will be presented by IOGP Chair, Fawaz Bitar, at the Society of Petroleum Engineers (SPE) International Conference and Exhibition on Health, Safety, Environment, and Sustainability, on 17-19 March 2020 in Bogotá, Colombia, in parallel with the Latin American and Caribbean Petroleum Engineering Conference (LACPEC).
The theme of the conference is “Generating Pride and Enabling Engagement” and will attract international HSE leaders and professionals from across the sector.
IOGP and SPE have gathered an impressive group of global industry leaders to help judge the award. The judges are:
- Tahir Azibekov, ADNOC
- Mike Borrell, Total
- Jordan Buss, Precision Drilling
- Johana Dunlop, SPE
- Christopher Egwuatu, Nigeria LNG
- Dave King, BP
- Thomas Knode, KirbyCorp
- Celine Mollet, TechnipFMC
- Marcin Nazaruk, Baker Hughes
- Cesar Patino, Ecopetrol
- Deborah Peach, Woodside
- AnnaMaria Petrone, Eni/KPO
- Davide Scotti, Saipem
- Olav Skår, IOGP
- Vince Spinelli, KazMunayGas
- Rhonda Yoder, Chevron
The Outstanding Young Professional Award recognizes the achievements of an individual with fewer than 10 years of professional E&P experience. The recipient must have demonstrated professional accomplishments and evidence of outstanding talent, dedication and leadership in at least one aspect of health, safety, security, sustainability, the environment or social responsibility.
IOGP is looking to senior members of the industry to nominate Young Professionals who meet the award criteria.
A global awards committee will choose five finalists and the final winner will be announced and presented with the award at the SPE International Conference and Exhibition on Health, Safety, Environment, and Sustainability in Bogotá, Colombia, March 17-19 2020.
The winner will receive:
- Outstanding Young Professional Award certificate and trophy
- Complimentary registration to the 2020 SPE Health, Safety, Environment and Sustainability Conference
- Two-year membership to SPE
- An invitation to join the Award & YP Committees for the 2022 Conference
- Recognition on the IOGP website and newsletter
- Recognition on the SPE Conference website
Eligibility and award criteria
The Outstanding Young Professional Award is open to all individuals who have fewer than 10 years of professional E&P experience.
- Be well-respected and in good standing within the community.
- Serve as a role model for other young professionals.
- Demonstrate noteworthy professional and personal achievement.
- Demonstrate commitment to excellence and proven leadership.
- Exhibit expertise, passion and the ability to inspire others.
Nominations are now closed.
Those nominating young professionals for this award must have more than 10 years of E&P experience in the industry. Nominations for the 2020 IOGP Outstanding Young Professional Award must be submitted using the official application form, by Friday, November 22, 2019. The nominee’s CV must also be included with the nomination form. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.
Award selection process
The Award Committee, consisting of industry figures, SPE members and IOGP officials, will select final candidates in December 2019.
These candidates will then be asked to prepare a short video presentation in time for a final round of judging in January 2020. The award winner will be notified towards the end of January 2020.
In the office
Let us know if you’d like a copy of our promotion pack to share in the office and we’ll put some in the post for you.
Download the OYPA 2020 brochure to share with colleagues (PDF)
Download the OYPA 2020 flyer to share with colleagues (PDF)
Ask your PR/marketing teams to include award information on any internal/external communications such as company newsletters, intranets or marketing emails.
On your social media networks
Please contact Danny Walsh, IOGP Communications Manager, at email@example.com for any communications queries.
“I’m truly honoured to receive the award, which is testimony to the years of support I’ve received from colleagues, managers and mentors throughout my career, as well as being a great motivator to take and apply my learnings further.”
– Marcin Nazaruk, 2018 winner