Oil & Gas business decisions, safety of personnel, assets, operational activities, and also protection of the natural environment, are often dependent on having complete, correct, consistent and current information of our operating locations and areas of interest.
Geomatics is the combined discipline of Survey & Positioning and Geospatial Data Management, and provides accurate positioning and mapping support across the full O&G life cycle.
The most recent update about the Committee’s work is available here
- Practical geodesy, incl. EPSG Geodetic Parameter Dataset and geodetic Guidance Notes
- Geo-Information, incl. Seabed Survey Data Model – SSDM, Land Survey Data Model – LSDM, P6 Data Model and Common Operating Picture for Oil Spill Response
- Earth observation, incl. OGEO Portal
- Geophysical operations, incl. P-Formats (position data exchange formats) and Guidelines for the conduct of offshore drilling hazard site surveys
- Surveying and positioning, incl. Guidelines for GNSS positioning and well bore survey data exchange format
- Geospatial Integrity of Geoscience Software – GIGS
- developing and disseminating good practice
- providing a forum for exchanging experiences and knowledge
- influencing regulators and standards organisations
- maintaining industry standard position exchange formats and a geodetic parameter database (EPSG)
- liaison with industry associations
The Committee comprises specialists from IOGP member companies working in the areas of surveying, geodesy, cartography and geospatial data management. The committee meets twice a year.
In 2006 the Geomatics Committee took custody of the former UK Offshore Operators Association (UKOOA, now Oil & Gas UK) seismic and well position data exchange formats and drilling hazard site survey guidelines that have since been revised and issued under IOGP heading.
The committee have formed an agreement with the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG) permitting deprecation of SEG’s seismic position data exchange formats and recognition of the revised IOGP positioning formats as their replacement. This places the Geomatics Committee as the global source for positioning advice, guidance and position data exchange formats for the upstream oil and gas industry.
The heritage UKOOA and SEG seismic position data exchange formats will continue to be available.
Liaison with industry associations stands as a strong objective of the Geomatics Committee. We currently actively maintain:
- Category A liaison membership of the International Standards Organisation (ISO) Technical Committee 211, Geographic Information/Geomatics (ISO TC/211).
- A reciprocal agreement of cooperation with Energistics (formerly the Petrotechnical Open Software Corporation – POSC) to which the IOGP Geomatics Committee provides geodetic advice and support.
- A reciprocal agreement of cooperation with Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) to which the IOGP Geomatics Committee provides advice on spatial referencing and co-ordinate transformations.
- Links with the Society of Exploration Geophysicists (SEG).
- Links with the International Marine Contractors Association (IMCA), specifically with the Offshore Survey Division Management Committee.
- Links with the Association of Petroleum Surveying & Geomatics (APSG).